MEslaymaker

MEslaymaker

Kill Anything That Moves: The Real American War in Vietnam - Nick Turse A difficult but worthwhile read even though I've heard much of the history before because I've read a lot about this war. Difficult because it is all so disturbing and sad no matter how much you've read or already know. Worthwhile because this particular compilation of events and perspectives was needed, and Turse did an admirable job despite how grueling it no doubt was, sufficient to merit 5 stars, in my opinion. I don't know how widely it's being read but I'm glad to see the many positive reviews and much critical acclaim, especially from some of my standard-bearers on the subject, such as Andrew Bacevich and Jonathan Schell. The impact at large may have been greater had the book come along sooner, but better late than never.

It is part of the American Empire Project, which tells you there is an agenda -- specifically the investigation of "changes that have occurred in American strategic thinking as well as in the military and economic posture. Empire, long considered an offense against America's democratic heritage, now threatens to define the relationship between our country and the rest of the world. The American Empire Project publishes books that question this development . . ." "This development" being the result of presumptuous policies and pre-emptive practices that cause more harm than good, the presumptions and resulting overkill in the Vietnam War being so extreme that it's almost impossible to overstate either, and this is now so well-documented that attempting to call the war anything other than the fiasco it was amounts to blindness or ignorance.

A timely read given the current reassessments of executive power and the future of drone warfare.