MEslaymaker

MEslaymaker

Down Bohicket Road: An Artist's Journey. Paintings and Sketches by Mary Whyte. With Excerpts from Alfreda's World. - Mary Whyte, Angela D. Mack
“There is a 12-mile road on Johns Island in South Carolina that makes its way toward the ocean, and under a full moon it turns the color of an oyster shell. The road passes beneath the shadows of giant oak limbs as thick as barrels and past swayback produce stands and small wooden churches. Beyond the trees the ribbon of a creek lies in cut lengths behind the rectangular shapes of trailer homes and sheds, before it turns west to join the river. Both the road and the creek are called Bohicket. This is the road my husband and I took so many winters ago when we came south to find a new beginning. It is the road that led me to the place I now call home.”

Watercolor, as Whyte notes, is very unforgiving. Unlike oil or acrylic, the paint rarely allows the covering of a mistake; you make a mistake you start over. It's transparent in more ways than one and not well-suited to realism. It takes a master watercolorist to paint that way, and Whyte is one.

I am driving to the islands soon and discovered her while perusing books about the South Carolina coast, and now I really can't wait. You'll find her online at http://marywhyte.com/